Chorus Master/Assistant Conductor
Reports to: Artistic Director/Principal Conductor
Part time – July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018
Requires communication outside of contract period to approve schedules, scores, and other chorus-related issues.
Austin Opera is seeking a greater Austin area musician to fill the role of Chorus Master/Assistant Conductor. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate strong leadership and organization skills with the ability to deliver exceptional performance for the Austin Opera Chorus. The Chorus Master/Assistant Conductor is responsible generally for the standard of musical preparation. The Chorus Master/Assistant Conductor will be a motivated musician and choral conductor of high caliber.
- Preparation and maintenance of the Austin Opera Chorus to the highest musical standards.
- Preparation of Austin Opera Chorus for all operas.
- Prepare, in coordination with the Artistic Director, the chorus musical rehearsal schedule that coordinates, and includes the mainstage production staging schedule for chorus.
- Secure and rehearse all supplemental and children’s choruses.
- Attendance at meetings and mainstage auditions as required.
- Coordination and scheduling of yearly chorus auditions.
- Cast the chorus for the season within a week of auditions.
- Prepare and distribute chorus scores two weeks prior to the first music rehearsal.
- Recruitment of chorus members through short time and long term planning.
- Supervise and hold auditions for chorus members.
- Attendance, where appropriate, at auditions and student performances at universities, concerts, and small opera companies where singers are performing who could be potential chorus member.
- Consult with Artistic Director on budget related issues including rehearsal hours, chorus numbers and chorus bit roles.
- Attendance at all music and production rehearsals for principals and chorus. Be prepared to conduct staging and technical rehearsals as needed.
- Management of all season-related communication with the chorus – this may include a chorus website.
- Prepare for the staging staff a list for each opera of chorus absences.
- Preparation of chorus list for the program.
- Maintain accurate and complete chorus attendance and payroll management records.
- Verify work authorization status of non-US citizens before offering a contract.
- Secure for Finance, W9’s for choristers.
- Off stage conducting, playing, and cueing of chorus and stage bands, sound effects, and other pit to stage coordination where required during performance.
- Monitoring of chorus during performances.
- Update and distribute Austin Opera Chorus Handbook each season.
- Coordinate with production music staff needs in the rehearsal hall and on stage. This would include placement of audio and video monitors, off stage chorus/soloists, and off stage instrumentalists.
- Provide feedback to Conductor regarding balance and acoustics in the performance hall.
- Provide feedback to artists upon request of the Conductor.
- Act as Music Director for any future outreach, education, and chamber opera productions if requested by General Director or Artistic Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least a Master of Music or professional equivalent
- Working knowledge of Italian, German and French
- Extensive knowledge of operatic repertoire.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong communication, planning, organizational and management skills.
- Proficiency as an off stage conductor.
- Experienced in managing a professional opera chorus is preferred.
- Understanding of voices.
- Experience as a choral conductor.
- Team player
Flexibility is required to meet the requirement of the job, including evenings and weekends.
Commensurate with experience
2017-2018 Season: Carmen, Ariadne auf Naxos, and La traviata
How to apply
March 15, 2107
Austin Lyric Opera is an Equal opportunity Employer
Director of Marketing & Communications
Reports to: General Director
Austin Opera is seeking a dynamic Director of Marketing & Communications to join its senior advancement team in leading the institution through innovation and growth. The Director of Marketing and Communications will be responsible for developing and implementing a strategic marketing and communications plan that advances the company’s goals related to ticket sales, audience development, and brand positioning. This position will work closely with the General Director, Director of Development, and Director of Finance.
Duties and responsibilities
Sales and Promotion
- Develop packaging and pricing strategies for all seasons, productions, performances, and related programs
- Develop and maintain a website presence that facilitates sales and company engagement
- Deploy best practices in Tessitura usage to maximize sales tactics, including dynamic pricing
- Create and execute comprehensive multi-channel advertising campaigns for print, radio,
- TV, direct marketing (mail and email), digital, and out of home sources
- Place, purchase and establish strategic trades for media
- Oversee production of all advertising and collateral materials
- Oversee and direct the efforts of all marketing staff and contract service providers, ticket office staff, and volunteers
- Conduct and analyze market research to establish target audiences and effective means to engage them
- Establish retention and new audience strategies based on research, past performance, and industry trends
- Ensure excellence in the audience experience, including front-of-house interaction and set-up
- Oversee inventory management practices that fulfill the institution’s strategic objectives
- Develop a robust group sales plan
Press and Public Relations
- Partner with senior members of the advancement team to ensure an integrated company communications plan that advances the company’s strategic goals in the community and in the field
- Establish relationships with key members of the local and national press
- Develop and implement strategies to ensure a robust social media presence
- Partner with company leadership in ensuring that the company’s programming strategies align with the company’s brand promise
- Partner with the senior advancement team in ensuring that all company communications reflect the company’s messaging and branding strategies
- Partner with other senior members of the advancement team to develop integrated strategies to advance the company’s revenue goals and strategic priorities
- Supervise a staff team as well as vendors and consultants as needed
- Develop and monitor expense and revenue budgets
- Other duties as assigned
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundamental marketing principles and practices as normally acquired through a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications or other closely related field.
- A Master’s degree in a related field and arts/opera experience is preferred.
- Minimum 0f five years’ experience in the areas of promotion, advertising, market research, public relations, direct mail and/or web marketing.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience with Tessitura strongly preferred.
- The ability to effectively manage staff and a keen ability to collaborate with staff, professional colleagues and supporters.
- Familiarity with and enthusiasm for opera and the performing arts.
- Solid leadership skills and the ability to make marketing recommendations as they relate to the overall goals and objectives of the organization.
- Ability to develop, manage and control budgets as well as effective analytical comprehension.
- Excellent analytical skills to create, read, and analyze multiple sources of data to determine action; a passion for data and an understanding of the importance of datadriven decisions.
- Polished presentation and interpersonal skills necessary. Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes. Ability to manage multiple campaigns and complex deadline-oriented projects. Solid project management skills and organization skills, as well as close attention to detail. Computer literacy in a Windows environment and database management required. Working knowledge of copywriting and editing principles associated with the production of promotional pieces. Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills required.
- Agency experience and knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop a plus.
Please submit resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and work samples to email@example.com