Director of Marketing & Communications
Reports to: General Director
Austin Opera is seeking a dynamic Director of Marketing & Communications to join its senior advancement team in leading the institution through innovation and growth. The Director of Marketing and Communications will be responsible for developing and implementing a strategic marketing and communications plan that advances the company’s goals related to ticket sales, audience development, and brand positioning. This position will work closely with the General Director, Director of Development, and Director of Finance.
Duties and responsibilities
Sales and Promotion
- Develop packaging and pricing strategies for all seasons, productions, performances, and related programs
- Develop and maintain a website presence that facilitates sales and company engagement
- Deploy best practices in Tessitura usage to maximize sales tactics, including dynamic pricing
- Create and execute comprehensive multi-channel advertising campaigns for print, radio,
- TV, direct marketing (mail and email), digital, and out of home sources
- Place, purchase and establish strategic trades for media
- Oversee production of all advertising and collateral materials
- Oversee and direct the efforts of all marketing staff and contract service providers, ticket office staff, and volunteers
- Conduct and analyze market research to establish target audiences and effective means to engage them
- Establish retention and new audience strategies based on research, past performance, and industry trends
- Ensure excellence in the audience experience, including front-of-house interaction and set-up
- Oversee inventory management practices that fulfill the institution’s strategic objectives
- Develop a robust group sales plan
Press and Public Relations
- Partner with senior members of the advancement team to ensure an integrated company communications plan that advances the company’s strategic goals in the community and in the field
- Establish relationships with key members of the local and national press
- Develop and implement strategies to ensure a robust social media presence
- Partner with company leadership in ensuring that the company’s programming strategies align with the company’s brand promise
- Partner with the senior advancement team in ensuring that all company communications reflect the company’s messaging and branding strategies
- Partner with other senior members of the advancement team to develop integrated strategies to advance the company’s revenue goals and strategic priorities
- Supervise a staff team as well as vendors and consultants as needed
- Develop and monitor expense and revenue budgets
- Other duties as assigned
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundamental marketing principles and practices as normally acquired through a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications or other closely related field.
- A Master’s degree in a related field and arts/opera experience is preferred.
- Minimum 0f five years’ experience in the areas of promotion, advertising, market research, public relations, direct mail and/or web marketing.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience with Tessitura strongly preferred.
- The ability to effectively manage staff and a keen ability to collaborate with staff, professional colleagues and supporters.
- Familiarity with and enthusiasm for opera and the performing arts.
- Solid leadership skills and the ability to make marketing recommendations as they relate to the overall goals and objectives of the organization.
- Ability to develop, manage and control budgets as well as effective analytical comprehension.
- Excellent analytical skills to create, read, and analyze multiple sources of data to determine action; a passion for data and an understanding of the importance of datadriven decisions.
- Polished presentation and interpersonal skills necessary. Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes. Ability to manage multiple campaigns and complex deadline-oriented projects. Solid project management skills and organization skills, as well as close attention to detail. Computer literacy in a Windows environment and database management required. Working knowledge of copywriting and editing principles associated with the production of promotional pieces. Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills required.
- Agency experience and knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop a plus.
Please submit resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org