Austin Opera is excited to provide the opportunity for students in Central Texas to experience live opera through our ACCESS OPERA program, and to support teachers in creating this meaningful and memorable occasion for their students. Continue reading below for information about performance dates and details, free and easily accessible curriculum and teaching materials and registration information.
ACCESS OPERA PRODUCTIONS AND DATES
All performances will take place at the Long Center and begin at 7:00 p.m.
Otello – Thursday, November 8, 2018
Silent Night – Thursday, January 24, 2019
La bohème – Thursday, April 25, 2019
ACCESS OPERA LESSON PLANS and TEACHING MATERIALS
Austin Opera values our partnerships with educators and strives to make opera education easy and fun for teachers and students alike. Click on the production title below to find a page filled with a curated list of resources, including our new ACCESS OPERA Power Points, complete with new Animated Listening Maps along with accompanying lesson plans, assessments and so much more!
Click the video sampler below for a sneak peek!
Then click on the blue buttons below to go directly to the specific production lessons and resources.
ACCESS OPERA REGISTRATION
Otello Final Dress Rehearsal
November 8, 2018 – 7:00 PM Long Center for the Performing Arts
Registration for tickets begins Wednesday, September 5, 2018
Silent Night Final Dress Rehearsal
January 24, 2019 – 7:00 PM Long Center for the Performing Arts
Registration for tickets begins Tuesday, November 27, 2018
La bohème Final Dress Rehearsal
April 25, 2019 – 7:00 PM Long Center for the Performing Arts
Registration for tickets begins Tuesday, February 26, 2019
For those of you signing up for the first time, a special welcome!
For all educators – please read carefully through the information below prior to registration.
IMPORTANT REGISTRATION INFORMATION for ACCESS OPERA:
- LOG IN: Educators will need to create a log in to reserve tickets for an Access Opera event. This information will go directly into our database to streamline the reservation and ticketing process. Once you have a log in, you will be able to use your account to make reservations for any of our ticketed programs (Access Opera, Masterclasses, etc.)
- RESERVATIONS: Reservations are taken on a first come, first serve basis. Please fill out ALL fields on the registration form carefully. You should receive two separate confirmations of your reservation – an immediate automated one, and a second personal confirmation from Austin Opera within 3 business work days. If you do not, please contact Debra Erck, Director of Education as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ATTENDANCE RESTRICTIONS: We can not accept reservations will fewer than 4 students for our Access Opera events. If you have a group with fewer than 4 students, please call our Box Office at 512-472-5992 to inquire about special prices for student tickets to one of our performances.
- WAIT LIST: If tickets are “sold out,” you can email Debra Erck (email@example.com) to be placed on a waiting list. Schools placed on the wait list will be contacted by email if tickets become available up to 48 hours prior to the dress rehearsal.
- ATTENDING THE OPERA: When you arrive for the performance, tickets will be scanned as you enter the Long Center. This will provide us with accurate information regarding who is attending our dress rehearsals. Groups that do not show up or do not use all of their tickets may lose the privilege of participating in this program in the future. You are encouraged to email us as soon as possible if you have extra tickets that will not be used so we can pass them along to students on our wait list.
- BUS INFO: Schools traveling by bus need to indicate the number of busses they will be bringing on the registration form. Once students are dropped off at the Long Center, busses will be asked to stage at an alternate location. Make sure to get your bus driver’s cell phone number so you can communicate when the performance is over. The Long Center suggests busses stage at Austin High School.
- SEATING: Only groups traveling by bus will have a reserved seating section. All other attendees will have open seating options on a designated level (orchestra, mezzanine, balcony).
- DOCENT VISITS: We are excited to provide docents to speak to groups during the school day to prepare them for attending our Access Opera program. Docents present a multimedia presentation that covers areas such as the music and composer, the cultural and historical context of the opera, as well as specifics about the production and audience etiquette. Docent programs and select materials are also available in Spanish, on request.
- TEACHING RESOURCES: Click on the appropriate production title above to find a variety of teaching resources for sharing opera with your students. We’ve done the homework for you! A special PowerPoint has been prepared for each of the three productions as well, featuring Animated Listening Maps, Assessments to Check for Understanding and so much more!
NOTE: The Austin Opera may have a photographer or videographer on site during the dress rehearsal to take pictures of the production, and possibly of the audience. If you would be willing for us to take pictures of your group, click here to print out a photo release form for parents to sign.