This page provides a wide assortment of resources to support educators in sharing this opera with students. ACCESS OPERA: Carmen curriculum includes an innovative multi-media based unit, complete with TEKs aligned lessons, activities, assessments and beautiful Animated Listening Maps.
First time teaching opera in your classroom? Here is where to start!
WHAT’S AN OPERA?
Listen to this 6:00 minute “What’s an opera?” broadcast from Classics for Kids.
Jump right into Carmen with our ACCESS OPERA: Carmen curriculum!
This curriculum is designed so you can teach Carmen in the time frame that works best for you and your students.
- Designate an entire class period (min. 45mins.) and share the complete Carmen
- Teach three short lessons by dividing the Carmen PowerPoint into three 15 min. lessons (one for each musical selection – “Prelude”, “Habanera” and “Toreador Song”)
- Extend your studies beyond the PowerPoint by using the PDF Lesson Materials and additional resources listed here on this webpage.
ACCESS OPERA: Carmen PDF materials include:
* Lesson Plans * Background info in English and Spanish
* Wall Posters * Notated Themes
* Checking for Understanding Questions * Performance Activities (play-a-long and sing-a-long)
* Story Synopsis * Audience Etiquette Guide
* Composer Portrait * Activity Pages
* SEL (Social-Emotional Learning) Connections * Vocabulary
Use redemption code: Carmen2017
ACCESS OPERA: Carmen PowerPoint includes:
* Animated Listening Maps * Background Pages (in English and Spanish)
* Notated Themes with audio * Assessment: Checking for Understanding Questions
* Links to Live Performances and Alternate Version Performances