Access Opera: The (R)evolution of Steve Jobs
Austin Opera is proud to present the Texas Premiere of Mason Bates and Mark Campbell’s The (R)evolution of Steve Jobs in February of 2022. This new take on the life of Apple pioneer Steve Jobs caused a sensation at its 2017 world premiere at Santa Fe Opera, and the live recording went on to win the 2019 Grammy for Best Opera Recording. According to Seattle Weekly, “Mason Bates’ score is unfailingly inventive and often gorgeous…”
Making his Austin Opera debut in the title role is baritone John Moore, praised by Stereophile as a “vocally and theatrically exceptional Steve Jobs.” Joining him in company debuts are Sarah Larsen (Laurene Powell Jobs), Bille Bruley (Steve Wozniak), and member of the Grammy-Award-winning cast Wei Wu (Kobun Chino Otogawa.) Plus, Madison Leonard, who triumphed as Gilda in 2019’s Rigoletto, returns to Austin as Chrisann Brennan.
It seems fitting that this groundbreaking new co-production created by Austin Opera, Atlanta Opera, and Lyric Opera of Kansas City will premiere in Austin, Texas, a city simultaneously known as “Silicon Hills” and the “Live Music Capital of the World.” Tomer Zvulun, the creator of Austin Opera’s award-winning production of Silent Night, returns to direct.
The sign-up period for this production has passed.
welcome to "the (R)evolution of Steve jobs" education resources page!
Austin Opera is excited to collaborate with the Education teams at Atlanta Opera and the Lyric Opera of Kansas City to provide you with a new EDUCATOR’S GUIDE for The (R)evolution of Steve Jobs.
- Photos, bios, and links to websites for singing artists and the creative team
- Synopsis, timeline, libretto (link), and access to excerpts from the Grammy-Winning recording
- Lesson plans & activities to explore 21st Century Music, Steve Jobs, American History, conducting, mindfulness and so much more!
- The (R)evolution of Steve Jobs Glossary – Includes definitions for various terms, historical events & people referenced in Mark Campbell’s clever libretto.
- Detailed information about Mature Content in the production
- Opera Vocabulary, including a brief history, descriptions of different styles of opera & voice types, and careers in opera
- Links to Additional Online Resources, including videos from previous productions, reviews, and interviews with the composer & librettist
Scroll down to find general PERFORMANCE NOTES and links to musical excerpts on SPOTIFY.
Can’t find the information you are looking for? Email us at [email protected] and let us know. We are here and ready to help you prepare for a “once in a lifetime” experience at the opera!
about austin opera's production
- Music by Mason Bates
- Libretto by Mark Campbell
- Based on the life of Steve Jobs
- In English with projected English titles
- New Co-Production between Atlanta Opera, Austin Opera, and Lyric Opera of Kansas City
- An opera in 1 act
- Approximately 1 hour and 35 minutes in length